Castle Bordeaux (33)
- 1200 m2
- 20 rooms
- 7 bedrooms
A chateau, dating from the Age of Reason, in parklands spanning some 3 hectares to the south of Bordeaux. South-west of Bordeaux, along the Garonne valley, less than 30 minutes from a TGV train station and less than an hour from Bordeaux-Mérignac airport, this chateau is on the outskirts of a market town with all local shops. A slip road for the Bordeaux-Toulouse motorway is but a few kilometres away. This property comprises an 18th century chateau, spanning approx. 700 m² of living space with more than 300 m² of attic space which could be converted, set in parklands of just under 3 hectares. It stands near to a village. The residence is reached via a dirt track, turning off a small lane and running through the parklands for several hundreds of metres. The house, surrounded by lawn, copses as well as farmland and protected by its original gates, looks out over the countryside whilst taking advantage of the village amenities. A section of the parklands, planted with tall trees and delimited by a stone wall, faces the entrance gates, from the other side of the little lane. Around the residence are a few houses, old buildings that once belonged to the property. On a third side are fields with the Garonne valley below.The residenceThis north-south-facing building, with its classical, rectangular layout, was constructed in 1790. It comprises a ground floor, a higher first or noble floor and an attic which could be converted. Its extremely sober facades feature nine bays with wide openings, looking out over the garden. The gable walls have three bays, including the openings on the second floor. The windows on the ground floor are arched, reinforcing the base effect. The main entrance is marked by a curved pediment, the only specific ornament on the main facade. On the north side, a belvedere terrace, flanked by a horseshoe-shaped stairway, looks down on the garden. The latter is planted with tall trees and vast lawns. Partially renovated over the centuries, the house still has numerous old features: a sculpted stone trough in the central corridor, wrought ironwork, parquet flooring with inlaid decoration, floors covered with old flagstones and Gironde tiles as well as thick stone walls. An east-west corridor provides access to the rooms on all four facades.Ground floorThe house is entered on the south side via a vast vestibule, with Gironde stone floor tiles, which provides access via two arches to the main stairway and leads to the rest of the house. This hardstone stairway is adorned with 18th century, elegantly wrought iron railings with hound motifs. On the left-hand side is an old kitchen with a hardstone floor. It is fitted with a masonry work surface and a rustic stone fireplace. It precedes a scullery, still with its original majestic stone sink and a door opening into the garden. A dumbwaiter provides a link with the first floor. A door in the kitchen provides access to the central corridor. On the right-hand side of the entrance hall, a small study, as well as a dining room, with parquet flooring, and then a second, more contemporary kitchen, all adjoin one after another. Each room also opens into the central corridor. The modern kitchen opens directly into the garden. The entrance hall leads to the central corridor which provides access to all the north-facing rooms. A suite in the north-east corner comprises a large bedroom with Gironde stone floor tiles. It provides access to a small bedroom, adorned with a Louis XVI style grey marble fireplace, topped with a fluted trumeau featuring garlands of foliage. This room, with pinewood parquet flooring, opens into a bathroom, also with parquet flooring, that leads to the corridor via a little passageway with a separate toilet.In the central section of the house, a large, wine storehouse is flanked by a shower room and a ...
reference : 793767 - Le Figaro Properties reference : 10779157