Property Evreux (27)
- 900 m2
- 20 rooms
- 17 bedrooms
A large property with a 16th century chateau, redesigned over the years, and 17 ha, including 11 ha of forest, 90 minutes from Paris, in Upper Normandy. The French capital is 1œ hours away by car (97 km), but the nearest town and its shops are only 16 km away. Rouen is 40 km away, the nearest SNCF train station is 26 km away. The region is a tourist mecca since one of the prettiest French villages is but 7 km away. The property can be reached via two entrances: either via a narrow country lane, or by cutting across more than 500 m of magnificent forest that is part of the estate.This property spans approx. 18 ha, 11 ha of which are forest. Once past the caretaker's cottage, the chateau is to be found on the right-hand side with, behind it, a chapel, an outbuilding and a vegetable garden-cum-orchard with a greenhouse, all immaculately kept.The swimming pool and its pool-house as well as the tennis court have been installed out of sight of the main residence. Another outbuilding with horse loose boxes and a hay barn is nearby.The parklands are planted with trimmed shrubs, horse chestnut, one hundred year old oak, ash and hornbeam trees as well as oleander bushes.The chateauThe original building dates from 1582. As of 1623, the Duke of Nemours was granted authority for the entire property to become a fiefdom by Louis XIII. Said property at that time included a farm, from which it was later separated.In 1784, it was bought by a Seigneur who was also advisor to the king. The main courtyard was, at this time, still surrounded by moats and fortified walls, including a drawbridge.The building was redesigned several times over the years, especially in the 19th century, following a serious fire. This was when the architect, René Martin, added two wings. It became the property of its current owners in 1992.This symmetrical building currently includes two upper floors, one of which has sloping ceilings.The carcass is built from three types of materials: brick, sandstone and flint. The wing facades are covered with smooth cement and adorned with brick quoins.Two kinds of roof, long slopes and pyramid, top the facades featuring small-paned openings. They are protected on the ground floor by metal slatted shutters and on the second level by wooden slatted shutters.The windows are slightly arched. The roof is adorned with hip or pediment roof dormers, bull's eye windows and chimney stacks. On the ground floor, in the oldest section, the terrace and its balustrade provides access to the building via the arched, mullioned French windows. Two cement falcons adorn the balustrade.A superb gravel driveway goes around the chateau.The basement comprises several rooms reserved for domestic staff which are still in their original condition as well as a large kitchen. The floors are covered with terracotta tiles.Spanning a floor surface area of approx. 900 m² (including the basement), this chateau comprises 17 bedrooms, 7 of which await conversion. The upstairs also comprises six bathrooms and two toilets.Ground floorThis floor comprises the large reception rooms, reached via a gallery or directly from the back of the building. These include three large lounges and the dining room, where the small-paned windows let in copious amounts of light.Fireplaces from various eras adorn these rooms, including one from the 19th century which has a trumeau integrating a painting of Saint-Mary-Madeleine.The floors are covered with herringbone pattern parquet flooring or old tiles. Attractive wainscoting and floor-to-ceiling panelling cover walls that are also enhanced with stucco decoration and shell motifs.The areas above the doors as well as the ceilings are finely decorated.This floor also comprises a kitchen, a study and a guest toilet as well as three stairways, two leading upstairs and one ...
reference : 841966 - Le Figaro Properties reference : 10286726