Manoir Caen (14)
- 534 m2
- 12 rooms
- 8 bedrooms
- land 147 187 m2
A listed, 15th century manor house, with outbuildings and 14 hectares, 200 km from Paris in the midst of the Auge region in the French department of Calvados.
On the edge of a valley interspersed with woods and meadows. In a region renowned for its equestrian properties, its gastronomy and its cheeses. 2 hours by car from Paris, 45 minutes from Deauville-Trouville and 15 minutes from Lisieux, a tourist, commercial town, very popular notably because of its markets. Its SNCF train station provides 100-minute links to Paris.
Schools, shops, doctors and chemists are all to be found in the neighbouring town 10 km away.
This manor house and its outbuildings are nestled in the midst of a region abounding in character residences and horse stud farms, overlooking the Touques Valley. The property is set a good distance from the village, along a shady little lane, winding its way through verdant countryside. Wooden gates provide access via a wide driveway, bordered with Northern Red oak trees.
On the right-hand side is a medieval tower, followed by the fortified manor house. Large wooded parklands separate it from miscellaneous outbuildings.
Orchards and grasslands surround the buildings.
The manor houseThis manor house was constructed in three successive stages between the 15th and the 17th centuries. The oldest known lord of this manor was Robert-de-Courson, who accompanied William the Conqueror during his invasion of England in 1066. Various families succeeded one another until Jean-de-Neufville inherited the property in 1437, following his marriage. His son Ancelot built the half-timbered manor house which was extended by Thomas-de-Neufville. In the second half of the 17th century, Nicolas-Houlley undertook another set of works, extending it southwards and adjoining a long wing, at right angles to the rear, to be used as outbuildings.
This manor house, constructed entirely from half-timbering, its roof covered with small tiles, is a long, rectangular building, the upstairs of which slightly overhangs on springers. Apart from the obvious diagonal ties, the half-timbering is predominantly arranged vertically. Fragmented tile fills the gaps between the beams. The eastern gable, formed by a thick stone wall, is the vestige of an earlier building that could date back to the 13th century. The rear facade of the manor house is flanked by a polygonal stairway tower, covered with chestnut wood weatherboarding. A gable roof covers the bedroom at the top of this turret.
A solid wooden door, with a carved lintel, provides access to the manor house, on the south side. The door post features the coat-of-arms of Thomas-de-Neufville. A vast entrance hall, with a toilet and a cupboard, provides access to the rest of the manor house. On the left-hand side, a dining room is adorned with a fireplace, made of carved wood and brick. A back stairway goes upstairs.
On the right-hand side are a first lounge with a stone fireplace, where a spiral stairway housed in the stairway tower goes upstairs, a second lounge , with wooden panelling and a fireplace, as well as a toilet and a library area. These rooms span a reception area of more than 100 m². All the rooms still have their original terracotta floor tiles.
Behind the dining room, a spacious kitchen is fitted with a cooking range. With wooden flooring, it precedes a back kitchen and a machine room.
The spiral stairway in the polygonal tower provides access to the old wall-walk of these fortified premises. On the left-hand side are an 18th century master suite, with a wooden fireplace as well as a large bathroom and a toilet, a child's bedroom, with a bathroom (Italian style shower and a toilet), a large bedroom, with a stone fireplace, a bathroom and a toilet. The latter is separated via a few stone steps from an intermediary ...
reference : 285610 - Le Figaro Properties reference : 20011487